Connect!

August 22, 2011

Baked Bitter Gourd/ Karela Stuffed with Oats


Now a days I make sure that I eat bitter gourd at least once a month....I know I should eat it more often, but I don't want to really like it as start it slowly. I never used to eat karela and would like it a bit only if fried or suated with jaggery, so that I will not feel the bitterness. But now I am trying to eat is slowly. Shoj loves it, so I am also trying new recipes so that I will also start liking it.
In my recent posts I noticed that I am not much writing about the nutrition value of the main ingredient I am using....because before I used to write for almost all my recipes. So I thought of starting from now on again!!

I did try some other recipes with bitter gourd too and have already mentioned the nutrition information: Bitter Gourd (click on this link to read more on bitter gourd nutrition...). Now lets go the recipe....

Ingredients:
------------
6 medium Bitter Gourd/ Karela/ Kaakarkaya
1 pkt or 1/4 cup Quaker Oats or Quick Cooking Oats (I used Quaker Oats - Apple Cranberry Almond)
1/4 tsp Fennel seeds
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/4 tsp Cumin powder
3/4 tsp Coriander powder
1/4 tsp Tamarind paste
1 tsp Olive Oil

Method:
---------

1. Wash the bitter gourd, slit lengthwise and remove the seeds. Repeat the same for all the bitter gourd, place in a bowl.
2. Sprinkle salt over and under the bitter gourd and keep it aside for about 30-60 mins.





3. Meanwhile in a bowl add the quaker oats, and all the spices (turmeric, chili, cumin, coriander powder) and salt and mix it properly.
Note: The quaker oats that I used had brown sugar in it, so if you are using the plain oats you can add up to 1 tbsp brown sugar or avoid it if you don't like it.
4. Preheat oven to 400 F or you can use a toaster oven as I did, which does not need preheating.
5. In a baking sheet place aluminium foil.



6. Now stuff each bitter gourd with the oats and spice mix and arrange these bitter gourd on the foil and drizzle the olive oil.


7. Now wrap the ends (all four sides of the foil) and make a pocket and bake it for about 30 mins.
8. In a small bowl mix 1 tsp water and tamarind paste (you can also use tamarind extract, which would be semi liquid).


9. Now open the aluminium foil pocket and drizzle this tamarind water over the top of the bitter gourd and again close the pocket as earlier and then bake it again for about 10 mins more or until it's cooked properly.


10. Serve this with steamed rice as a side dish or even with roti's as a dry sabji.
This bitter gourd recipe is mixture of all the flavors like spicy, bitter, salty and sweet...

You Might Also Like:

Bitter Gourd Masala
Bitter Gourd Masala
Bitter Gourd Fry
Bitter Gourd Fry

21 comments:

  1. Very healthy recipe. I never used to eat karela. But my husband loves it and when I started preparing for him, Im also liking it slowly..
    ONGOING EVENT: Fusion Food: Pasta till 31 August 2011

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is absolutely a healthy dish to the core...looks so delicious...loved your idea so innovative yaar...great job anu!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice creation anu1 bakes karela! and stuffed with oats!
    Richa @Hobby And More Food Blog
    Hobby And More on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. How unique ~ love your creativity dear :)
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baked Bittergourd? This is so interesting, Anu! I love cooking with this veg too but I always use the longer & bigger type. I've this the smaller ones but haven't tried. Wonder how different they are?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ur recipes r always different n creative dear..keep up d good job

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't done like this very nicely done Anu

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so much am in love with Karela that I too do lots like that with the veggie.Nice Idea.Would love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome idea! my hubby will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Healthy delicious recipe...very creative dear..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow so innovative u rock but still i dont like bittergourd..but i like the stuffing..

    ReplyDelete
  12. very healthy and delicious one as bitter gourd is my fav veggie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anu. This is very creative and healthy!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a super healthy recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anu, this is a great recipe...oats in karela? what a delightful combination! You are one great cook!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is something interesting karela with oats

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anu, this is a ver unique dish. I believe bitter gourd is an acquired taste. It is either you like it or don't at all. My mum and me are big fan of bitter gourd but not my son and my Quay Lo. I would love to make this dish for me and mum soon. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an unusual way to have bittergourd! Lovely blog you have here.

    Peachie (http://peachesanddonuts.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,
Thanks for writing your valuable comments and words of appreciation for making me cook better with new and healthy ingredients. I am glad to share these recipes from my kitchen to yours.
Please don't leave any Links to any other sites, I will have to delete it. Thanks for understanding.

Cheers
Anu

MY BLOGS

MY BLOGS Anu's Cakes and Bakes Anu's Healthy Kitchen Anu's Painting and Crafts

Total Pageviews

SIMPLE QUOTES ABOUT COOKING AND FOOD...

The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook
-
Julia Child

Dessert is probably the most important stage of the meal, since it will be the last thing your guests remember before they pass out all over the table. The Anarchist Cookbook
Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.
-
Voltaire

What my mother believed about cooking is that if you worked hard and prospered, someone else would do it for you.
-
Nora Ephron

No man in the world has more courage than the man who can stop after eating one peanut.
-
Channing Pollock

Anu. Awesome Inc. template. Template images by ranplett. Powered by Blogger.