Connect!

August 06, 2013

Spinach Poori with Mirchi Chole


Weekends are special whether I make breakfast or not :), because I like to be lazy sometimes and not do anything for breakfast but make heavy lunch and sometimes like to make a heavy brunch and skip making lunch. When I decide to make a heavy brunch, from the options I make, poori is my all time favorite. My son now a days started liking it, but not with chole though. He likes it with yogurt and some sugar/honey. Well, not to blame him, when I was a kid we also used to do the same. 

Sometimes husbands act like kids.....are you thinking I am talking out of the context? Well no, I am coming there... :)


My husband (Ben) does not like to eat spinach in gravy, but my son likes spinach. So whenever I get spinach I always have to think about how to make my husband eat. Well this is what I do, I always add spinach in chapati or poori dough or just make a dry sabzi with onions and coconut, which he likes to eat or make spinach pulav. In this regards, I sometimes feel that it's easier to trick/manage kids than husbands. :):)

Enjoyed making this simple chole recipe. I always make with masala spices, but this time I made is simple yet spicy and tasty. Just added green chili and ginger for spicy taste. Always simple is the best. You too agree right? well try this you will also like it.






Method:
---------
Spinach Poori:
----------------
1. In a sauce pan, add spinach and saute it for few mins until it releases water and wilts down a little bit. You can notice that it's done once the leaves turn bright green in color.
2. Now let it cool and purees it in a blender and add this puree to a large mixing bowl.
3. Now add the whole wheat flour and first knead it and add water as you go, to form a slightly firm dough.
4. Apply few drops of oil on the dough so that it does not dry on the outside.
5. Let the dough sit for few mins.


6. Meanwhile add oil to a kadai and when it's medium to high hot (you can check it by adding a small piece of the dough - when the oil is ready the dropped dough will immediately rise to the top with a sizzle.)
7. Make small lime size balls of the dough and before rolling it to a little thicker than chapati, you should dip the corner of the dough into the hot oil and then spread it around and then roll it to desired shape.
8. Drop one rolled dough and spoon a little hot oil over the dough, and lightly spoon the sides so that it puffs up. Let it cook one side for 1-2 mins.
9. Now flip it over and do the same.
10. Remove the poori to a paper towel lined plate. Enjoy this poori with your choice of curry, I always prefer chole. (The recipe follows!!)


Mirchi Chole:
---------------
1. Soak the chole in water for overnight or for at least 4-6 hours.
2. Chop green chilies, ginger, onion and tomatoes in a chopped to a coarse paste and keep it aside.
3. Take a pressure cooker, add little oil.
4. When the oil is hot enough add all the ingredients, add enough water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
5. Let it release all the pressure, then check all the spicy and water content. You the gravy is not thicker, you can open cook it for few more mins and serve with those yummy and delicious pooris.


You Might Also Like:
Potato and Spinach Soup Brown Chickpeas Sprouts Chola Batura

14 comments:

  1. An amazing poori and chole..Really well done. . beautiful clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,it so eye appealing and i am sure i will try this for my next party @ home...Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anu, this is so fun to make! Great for entertaining too. I'm sure it tastes just as good, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome recipe, perfectly done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy and the colour contrast of the puri and chana looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow...nice way to treat my little one with spinach...love your idea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Healthy poori's...
    i loved the first and last click more :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. interesting and perfect combo.. nice presentation

    ReplyDelete
  9. Healthy & tempting pooris, mirchi chole looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delish, lovely clicks :)
    http://kitchenista-welcometomykitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colorful pooris.. Very tempting ones !

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,
Thanks for writing your valuable comments and words of appreciation for making me cook better with new and healthy ingredients. I am glad to share these recipes from my kitchen to yours.
Please don't leave any Links to any other sites, I will have to delete it. Thanks for understanding.

Cheers
Anu

MY BLOGS

MY BLOGS Anu's Cakes and Bakes Anu's Healthy Kitchen Anu's Painting and Crafts

Total Pageviews

SIMPLE QUOTES ABOUT COOKING AND FOOD...

The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook
-
Julia Child

Dessert is probably the most important stage of the meal, since it will be the last thing your guests remember before they pass out all over the table. The Anarchist Cookbook
Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.
-
Voltaire

What my mother believed about cooking is that if you worked hard and prospered, someone else would do it for you.
-
Nora Ephron

No man in the world has more courage than the man who can stop after eating one peanut.
-
Channing Pollock

Anu. Awesome Inc. template. Template images by ranplett. Powered by Blogger.